Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A New Mindset

I've found that I have a whole new way of looking at the human body now that I've been studying human anatomy pretty intensely. I took anatomy in undergrad, but it wasn't this intense and it didn't include cadaver dissection.

I can no longer just move my arm, leg, hand, head, etc. Every movement is accompanied by the thought of all the actions that have to work together for every seemingly simple movement. What muscles are involved? What nerves make those muscles move? What blood vessels supply the area? What blood vessels drain the area? What parts of the brain coordinate everything? I look at my wrist as it moves and think about what Emelia's wrist looks like and wonder if my muscles look the same as hers (though hopefully fully alive). I see the veins in my arm and think about their names, what areas they drain, and what arteries are nearby. I raise my arm and think about the entire grouping of muscles that were necessary to make that motion.

I can't help but think about the whole system and wonder how it ever works without things going wrong.

I'm sure this sense of wonderment will gradually decline I get further from anatomy in these next few months and get lost in the more microscopic processes but I hope I never lose my awe of the workings and design of the human body.

1 comment:

Mom said...

May you never lose your wonder of the human body and your realization that God made it so miraculous. Nothing that it does is without His amazing design.