Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Time flies.

Today is the first day for interviews at OSU. It was strange walking out of lecture to see the lobby packed with nervous interviewees in new suits. They all looked as though they felt awkward and uncomfortable and were just ready to get the day over with. Some were making idle conversation, but most were just sitting, probably silently rehearsing their answers to some of the most popular interview questions: Why medicine? Why OSU? What would you do if you couldn't go to medical school? A group of interviewees just passed by on their tour of campus. If they are anything like I was, not a single step of the tour will be remembered. The places you see will blend with the other schools The conversations you have with M1s and M2s will be forgotten. The interviews coming after the tour are much more so the object of focus.

I can hardly believe that it was just a year ago that I was sitting in those same seats, just as nervous and uncomfortable as they were. (My interview at OSU wasn't quite this early, but I had other interviews that began in September.) It seems like ages ago that I was interviewing and didn't have any idea where I would be attending medical school. Now, only two and a half weeks into classes, I already feel as though I've been here for months.

It won't be long before I'm walking out of lecture at this time next year noticing how stressed all of the M1s are about their upcoming first anatomy exam. Soon after that, I'll be making my rounds in the hospital looking back fondly on the days when I could "sleep in" until 7:00am.

Time flies. Even if you're not having fun. I hope I can embrace where I am now, and find ways to make M1 fun. A few more percentage points on an exam won't make a difference nearly as much as an evening with friends. One more memorized muscle isn't comparable to a genuine conversation with a patient. No one will ever know what my exam scores were unless I tell them. If I could tell the interviewees anything, it would be to relax. And when I'm an M2, I'll be telling the M1s to relax...and so the pattern continues.

And with that thought, I'm off to memorize that one more muscle in hopes of boosting my exam score a few more percentage points.

2 comments:

Sally said...

So after reading this, I'm thinking - you could be a writer, for sure! Valid points, and great ending! ;-)

Mom said...

I agree with Sally! Reading your blog is like enjoying my favorite columnist. Entertaining and straight from the heart. Like a window into your mind and soul. Love your observations and reflections. You are right...embrace each moment!