My night week ended up being slightly different than expected. I was told to not go to lecture so I could have more time off, then also told to not go into work Thursday night because I had already worked enough nights in a row. So the week wasn't quite as bad as it could have been, but I still worked 56 hours in 4 days.
My week also wasn't quite as amusing as my first week and thus I don't really have any stories that can rival last week's blog. Although I do have some observations:
~~~~~
I don't like adults. I really don't like adults - at least in the healthcare setting. Chances are, if you're reading this - I like you and you're the exception to the rule - but I found adults very frustrating this week. 90% of the adults I admitted from the ED (Emergency Dept) had their health issues because they had done something to get themselves in that position. Not only that, but they won't own up to the decisions they've made. I'm not perfect - I've made unhealthy decisions (such as the massive quantity of chips I ate yesterday) and I've been non-compliant with medications...but I would not be shocked, or blame other people, if something happened as a consequence of those decisions. A 70 something year old man who had smoked for 50 years asked me why I thought he had COPD. A woman who refused to take her prescribed medications was shocked that her blood sugar was over 500 (normal is <100). A woman came in with "excruciating pain" but refused to take the recommended meds in the ED because she knew better than the doctors what would be the right meds for her.
All of that to say - I know it's only been two weeks, but I'm leaning even more towards pediatrics. It really hit me when a woman came in to the ED and I was supposed to examine her and get her story but all I wanted to do was check out her 4 day old baby.
~~~~~
I also witnessed my first code blue this week, which is basically when someone's heart stops working. The patient was brought back to life after a few shocks, but it's most likely only a matter of time until he wont be able to be revived. It was a strange realization during the code knowing that I could be a few feet away from a patient that may die any second. It was an interesting reminder that at any point I could be seeing someone die right in front of me - which isn't a side of medicine you can really prepare for.
~~~~~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It will change you forever the first time you see a soul leave this earth, as well as the first time you see a soul enter it. Both will make you a better doctor.
Post a Comment